At the end of my last post, I mentioned how I had started making bagels. Well, here is the end result. It wasn’t so good . . .
I almost feel like writing the author of the cookbook to ask where I could have gone wrong, but I am too embarrassed. I am going to try again, making sure to follow the recipe exactly. The good news is that they tasted great–that’s what’s important, right? I could split them open and toast them–exactly what I have been missing about eating bagels. Unfortunately, they were not very pretty.
When I first shaped them for proofing, they looked pretty awesome:
But when I took them out of the proofing container, they looked like this: That one on the top–the one that looks normal–I had reshaped that one.
Lessons I learned from bagel making:
- Do not use the dough hook–even though the cookbook author specifically says to use the dough hook. I’ve had better success using the paddle attachment.
- Let rise in the fridge for LONGER than 12 hours
- Make the holes bigger
- Use instant yeast instead of active dry (The recipe says to use instant, but I didn’t have any. They don’t sell it at the Co-op.
- Boil in molasses water for less time at a more steady, lower boil
Not sure when I will attempt this again–but I will be sure to let you know.
FYI–this recipe was from Gluten Free on a Shoestring Bakes Bread by Nicole Hunn.